Vital fundraising and support for the Museum
About the Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum
The Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum are a fantastic organisation of loyal supporters. They provide invaluable assistance by raising thousands of pounds each year to keep the Museum going by selling goods through their Friends Centre Shop, organising fundraising events and attending local shows and events every year and would really appreciate your support. Membership is free to Annual Pass Holders.
The Friends can and do act as a conduit for anyone wishing to provide a donation towards the Museum but who wish their donation to remain anonymous. We can liaise with the Museum on your behalf, claim the Gift Aid, and release the funds as and when the Museum needs them, whilst maintaining your confidentiality.
Friends of the Museum events 2018
Tutored Wine Tasting Evening
Friday 10th August 2018, 7.30pm, in Skippings Barn at the Museum
The wines to be tasted are from the Languedoc region of Southern France. The tasting will be followed by a Ploughman’s Supper.
Tickets are now available at £15 per head from Tricia on 01494 721244 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Quiz Supper
Saturday 20th October at Chalfont St Peter Church Hall
Saturday 17th November 2018 at Chalfont St Peter Community Centre
Further events to be advised
200 Club Draw 2018-19
With more participants this year there are two prizes each month of £20 and £15. In addition three annual prizes of £100, £50 and £20 will be drawn at the Friends AGM in March 2019.
The lucky winners for the first quarter of the 200 Club year are:
April: Sam Hatfield (no.56) and Mr W J Greer (no.81)
May: Michael Batchelor (no.74) and Catharine Morton (no.31)
June: Mr A Wenman (no.62) and Mary Stephenson (no.4)
Friends of the Museum events 2017
Thank you to all who supported us during the year.
The Annual Quiz raised £900
The Annual Auction raised £2,500
Sales from the Friends Centre brought in £5,238
We look forward to your continued support in 2018.
Report of the Friends Annual General Meeting 2018
The 35th Annual General Meeting of the Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum was held at the Museum on Sunday 18th March 2018.
The meeting included a report on the financial results for the year 1st November 2016 to 31st October 2017. The headline figure is that the Friends provided support of over £15,000 to the Museum during the year. Most of this went towards the Museum’s general funds as a contribution to keeping it running on a day to day basis but they also provided specific funds towards the upkeep of two of the Museum’s buildings – the Prefab (following an anonymous donation) and Maidenhead Pavilion (which acts as the Friends Centre).
Their main sources of funds were from sales at the Friends Centre, the successful Annual Charity Auction, the Quiz supper, the 200 Club and attendance at local events. This year the apples from the Museum’s orchard were pressed to provide apple juice. The bottling was paid for and the bottles sold by the Friends. Expenses were kept to a minimum, consisting mainly of insurance, and stationery and stamps for the annual mail out to all Friends.
During the year the committee had been delighted to co-opt four new committee members. They were duly elected at the AGM, together with the re-election of existing members: Dick Lister (Treasurer), Tricia Phillips (Secretary), Tom Crosby, Diane Thomas, Doreen Toomey, Judy Snook, Alison Farlie, Deborah Zealey, Richard Zealey and Barbara Hayes. The role of Chairman remains vacant.
How can you help us as a friend?
There are several ways in which you can help us and we hope you will find something amongst the suggested list below that appeals to you.
- Stewarding the Maidenhead Pavilion Friends Centre (The Friends’ own charity shop at the Museum) especially at weekends and during the week in school holidays. If interested contact Diane Thomas via the Museum or email: email@example.com
- Donating unwanted presents, good condition bric-a-brac, books and toys to sell in the Friends Centre. You can leave all donations (no clothes please!) at the ticket office or bring into the Friends Centre if open. If bulky, please contact Diane Thomas (as above)
- Growing plants to sell at the Friends Centre (contact Diane Thomas, as above)
- Joining the team of jam/marmalade makers whose produce is sold in the Friends Centre. Clean jars and labels are supplied and you can be reimbursed for ingredients. If interested contact Gill Cassidy via the Museum, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone her on 01844 344461
- Manning stalls at local fetes and shows to promote and raise the profile of the Museum
- Making cakes to sell
- Supporting us at social and fundraising events
- Joining the Friends Committee – we currently have vacancies.
If you can help, please send an email to email@example.com or contact as above.
Contacting the Friends
If you would like to contact the Friends of the Museum, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the Secretary, Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum, Chiltern Open Air Museum, Newland Park, Gorelands Lane, Chalfont St Giles, HP8 4AB.