Wartime Home Educator Day
5th November, 11 am – 3.30 pm
Special Wartime themed Home Education Day
We invite you and your children to take part in our special informal learning activities linking to WW1 history and events leading up to the centenary commemorations.
There will be a series of drop-in and timed sessions on the day:
- Visit our restored and renovated WWI Nissen hut
- Try on replica military and medical uniforms
- Investigate the social history and personal stories of local people linked to the Chilterns, some of our buildings and locality and meet some of the volunteers who researched these poignant and pertinent stories.
- Discover the history and design & technology behind the Nissen hut
- Create your own war arts and crafts in Skippings Barn – including campaign medals and peg planes
- Contribute to our Silhouette soldier collage
- Meet members of the Celfunde organisation who promote and preserve the rich heritage of our local history and reminiscences of local residents through through memorabilia and ephemera.
- Be inspired by a selection of wartime themed books on display from Buckinghamshire County Library
- Try war time cooking
- Visit our 1940s prefab house and its Anderson shelter
- See the RAF Briefing room in the WW2 Nissen Hut
- Visit our Dig for Victory allotment
Please note on this date, the Museum is closed to the general public, so only the village green area will be available to visit. The team room will not be open. Please arrive at 11 am to be greeted by a member of the education team.
We will be able to provide you with an indoor lunch space to share with other home educator families. Please bring your own packed lunches. The snack barn will be opened up to enable you to purchase hot drinks and snacks.
Important information about your visit
Annual Pass holders – free
Adults – £9.50
Under 4s – free
You must prebook tickets for this event. Please book tickets here.