Family activities and resources at COAM
Chiltern Open Air Museum is a great day out for the kids as well as the rest of the family. There are lots of hands on activities for you to do and lots of space and woodlands to run around an explore. We also run lots of family workshops and experience days, as well as archaeological excavations and school holiday club.
Activities Available Everyday at the Museum
- Explore our woodland trails
- Pick up an eye spy activity sheet from our ticket office
- Construct model buildings in our Northolt barn
- Try on our RAF costumes
- Take selfies in our Victorian hats
- Play with our historic toys and games
- Play in our adventure playground
- Purchase a family guide from the ticket office and learn more about our buildings
- Say hello to our farm animals
- Explore all our historic buildings and imagine what it was like to live in them
- Follow our sensory trail (you can pick up a map from our ticket office)
- Have a go at orienteering (download your maps for free here or you can purchase one at our ticket office)
- You can download more site trails here
Family Activity Days
Every Tuesday in Bucks school holidays we run special themed family craft and activity days all organised by the Museum’s award winning education team.All Terrific Tuesday activities and crafts are included as part of our admission price. Have a look at our events pages to find out the dates and themes.
Creative Thursdays are a new addition to the Museum’s event calendar. On every Thursday throughout August we will have special demonstrations and activities with traditional artists including straw plaiters and blacksmiths. On these days visitors will be able to take part in the Arts Award Discover. Arts Award discover logbooks can be downloaded for free or purchased at the Museum’s ticket office. On completion of the Arts Award logbook visitors can submit them to the Museum where they will be marked and a certificate will be awarded. All activities are included within the standard admission price but there is an charge to submit your logbook for marking and to receive a certificate.
Living History and Events
We have over 20 living history and special events planned for 2018 including Enchanted Museum, Roman Gladiators, Suffragettes and Rural Life. Please see our events section for our full program.
Family Workshops and Experience Days
We offer a variety of workshops for both adults and children such as; silver jewellery making. If you’re looking for something special we also offer special family experience days in prehistory, willow weaving, historic baking and bushcraft.
Archaeological Excavation for Children
During the week of the 23rd – 27th July 2018 we will be running an archaeological excavation for children by our Iron Age roundhouse with Archaeologist, Kim Biddulph. Each session costs £10.50 or £5 for Annual Pass holders and must be pre-booked.