Prehistory Family Experience Days
We’re pleased to offer this family prehistory experience day, a great opportunity to learn and take part in educational and fun activities together. The workshop can take a maximum of 6 participants (maximum of 4 adults) and all participants must be over the age of 5 years.
The experience will begin in our Stone Age campsite where you will be met by our costumed interpreter. The first session is a 90 minute workshop, where you will be introduced to different aspects of Mesolithic life: the focus is upon the skills essential for life during this middle Stone Age period.
During the workshop you will: generate pigments, cover a temporary shelter, handle replica artefacts, practice the skills necessary to start a fire, learn how to make cordage, and you may re-enact a hunt. You will leave the session with a cordage and animal bone bracelet.
After the workshop you will have 90 minute break to explore the rest of the museum, have a picnic or buy lunch in our Tea Room.
In the afternoon you will travel to the Iron Age where you will learn about roundhouse settlements. You will have the opportunity to grind grain, create flatbreads, cook over the open fire, create butter from cream and fashion clay pottery. You will leave this workshop having made a small clay pots to take home.
Please be aware that this family experience takes place outside so please dress warmly.
Included in your experience
- Exclusive sessions led by trained costume interpreter with expertise in prehistory
- 90 minute workshop in our Stone Age campsite
- 90 minute break at lunch time to enjoy the museum spaces and buy/eat lunch (whilst the workshop leader ‘time-travels’ from one era to the next)
- 75 minute workshop in our Iron Age roundhouse
- Additional time to explore the Museum (once the workshops finish) before the site closes at 5pm
- Participants can take home everything that they have made on the day
Price: £250 per family
Timings of workshop: 10.30am-3pm
Minimum age: 5 years
Number of participants: 6 (up to 4 adults)
Experience day dates:
Saturday 5th May
Saturday 2nd June
Saturday 7th July