Vital fundraising and support for the Museum
About the Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum
The Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum are a fantastic organisation of loyal supporters. They provide invaluable assistance by raising thousands of pounds each year to keep the Museum going by selling goods through their Friends Centre Shop, organising fundraising events and attending local shows and events every year and would really appreciate your support. Membership is free to Annual Pass Holders.
The Friends can and do act as a conduit for anyone wishing to provide a donation towards the Museum but who wish their donation to remain anonymous. We can liaise with the Museum on your behalf, claim the Gift Aid, and release the funds as and when the Museum needs them, whilst maintaining your confidentiality.
The Thirty-Sixth Annual General Meeting of the Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum will be held on Tuesday 19th March 2019 in Skippings Barn at the Museum, starting at 2pm. All Friends are very welcome to attend. We look forward to seeing you there.
Membership is free. You can sign up here
Friends of the Museum events 2018
Tutored Wine Tasting Evening
This event was a sell out and a much enjoyed social evening. The Friends raised £266 to be passed over to the Museum.
Annual Quiz Supper
Another successful evening resulting in £500 being raised for the Museum.
This event has brought in about £2,000 for the Museum. The next Auction is booked for Saturday 16th November 2019.
Our thanks to all who contributed to our fundraising during 2018.
200 Club Draw 2018-19
With more participants this year there are two prizes each month of £20 and £15. In addition three annual prizes of £100, £50 and £20 will be drawn at the Friends AGM in March 2019.
The lucky winners for the final quarter of the 200 Club year are:
January: Mr W J Greer (no.81) and Mrs E Rodda (no.14)
February: Mr R A Carr (no.77) and Mrs C Jones (no.66)
March: Mr B Shafe (no. 88) and Mrs J Crombie (no.7)
The 200 Club Draw for the year 2019-2020 will commence in April. For further details and to apply to join, please fill out the 200 Club application form
Report of the Friends Annual General Meeting 2018
The 35th Annual General Meeting of the Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum was held at the Museum on Sunday 18th March 2018.
The meeting included a report on the financial results for the year 1st November 2016 to 31st October 2017. The headline figure is that the Friends provided support of over £15,000 to the Museum during the year. Most of this went towards the Museum’s general funds as a contribution to keeping it running on a day to day basis but they also provided specific funds towards the upkeep of two of the Museum’s buildings – the Prefab (following an anonymous donation) and Maidenhead Pavilion (which acts as the Friends Centre).
Their main sources of funds were from sales at the Friends Centre, the successful Annual Charity Auction, the Quiz supper, the 200 Club and attendance at local events. This year the apples from the Museum’s orchard were pressed to provide apple juice. The bottling was paid for and the bottles sold by the Friends. Expenses were kept to a minimum, consisting mainly of insurance, and stationery and stamps for the annual mail out to all Friends.
During the year the committee had been delighted to co-opt four new committee members. They were duly elected at the AGM, together with the re-election of existing members: Dick Lister (Treasurer), Tricia Phillips (Secretary), Tom Crosby, Diane Thomas, Doreen Toomey, Judy Snook, Alison Farlie, Deborah Zealey, Richard Zealey and Barbara Hayes. The role of Chairman remains vacant.
How can you help us as a friend?
There are several ways in which you can help us and we hope you will find something among the suggested list below that appeals to you.
- Stewarding the Maidenhead Pavilion Friends Centre (The Friends’ own charity shop at the Museum) especially at weekends and during the week in school holidays. If interested contact Diane Thomas via the Museum or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donating unwanted presents, good condition bric-a-brac, books and toys to sell in the Friends Centre. You can leave all donations (no clothes please!) at the ticket office or bring into the Friends Centre if open. If bulky, please contact Diane Thomas (as above)
- Growing plants to sell at the Friends Centre (contact Diane Thomas, as above)
- Joining the team of jam/marmalade makers whose produce is sold in the Friends Centre. Clean jars and labels are supplied and you can be reimbursed for ingredients. If interested contact Gill Cassidy via the Museum, or email: email@example.com or phone her on 01844 344461
- Manning stalls at local fetes and shows to promote and raise the profile of the Museum
- Making cakes to sell
- Supporting us at social and fundraising events
- Joining the Friends Committee – we currently have vacancies.
If you can help, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact as above.
Contacting the Friends
If you would like to contact the Friends of the Museum, please email email@example.com or write to the Secretary, Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum, Chiltern Open Air Museum, Newland Park, Gorelands Lane, Chalfont St Giles, HP8 4AB.