Vital fundraising and support for the Museum
About the Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum
The Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum are a fantastic organisation of loyal supporters. They provide invaluable assistance by raising thousands of pounds each year to keep the Museum going by selling goods through their Friends Centre Shop, organising fundraising events and attending local shows and events every year and would really appreciate your support. Membership is free. You can sign up here
The Friends can and do act as a conduit for anyone wishing to provide a donation towards the Museum but who wish their donation to remain anonymous. We can liaise with the Museum on your behalf, claim the Gift Aid, and release the funds as and when the Museum needs them, whilst maintaining your confidentiality.
Friends of the Museum events 2019
Annual Quiz Supper
The Quiz on 19th October was a hugely successful evening thanks to all who attended and filled the hall to capacity. Ticket sales and the well supported raffle raised around £900 to be passed over to the Museum.
The Auction on 16th November exceeded last year’s total and raised about £3,000 for the Museum. Thank you to all who helped in any way to make this such a worthwhile event. The next Auction is booked for Saturday 21st November 2020.
Thank you to everyone who contributed towards our fundraising during 2019.
200 Club Draw 2019-20
This year there are 2 monthly prizes of £20 and £15. In addition, there are 3 annual prizes of £100, £50 and £20 to be drawn at the Friends Annual General Meeting in March 2020.
The winners for the third quarter of the year are:
October: No. 17 – Mrs C Pamington No.48 – Mrs H Hide
November: No.92 – Mrs K Fearn No.22 – Mr D Rowland
December: No. 45 – Miss M Stephenson No.71 – Mr M Batchelor
Report of the Friends Annual General Meeting 2019
The 36th Annual General Meeting of the Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum was held at the Museum on Tuesday 19th March 2019.
The meeting included a report on the financial results for the year 1st November 2017 to 31st October 2018. The Treasurer reported that the Friends gave over £25,000 to the Museum during the year, which included a large donation carried over from the previous year. Other sources of income came mainly from sales in the Friends Centre, the Auction in November 2017, the annual Quiz supper, and a Wine Tasting. The apples from the Museum’s orchard were pressed to provide apple juice, and the bottling was paid for and the bottles sold by the Friends. Expenses were, as always, kept to a minimum, with the main items being insurance and the cost of postage for the annual mail out to members.
The annual accounts were duly adopted and the committee elected for the ensuing year. Tom Crosby retired from the committee in September, having served for a continuous 31 years. We are extremely grateful to him for his commitment and involvement over such a very long time and thank him very much for his sterling service. Deborah and Richard Zealey stood down after two years on the committee as due to work commitments they felt unable to help as much as they would have liked. The following members were re-elected: Dick Lister (Treasurer), Tricia Phillips (Secretary), Diane Thomas, Doreen Toomey, Judy Snook, Alison Farlie and Barbara Hayes. The role of Chairman remains vacant and there is room for other Friends to join the committee. New members can be co-opted during the year, so if you are interested in getting more involved in the running of the Friends, please contact our Secretary (details at foot of this page). We’d be pleased to hear from you.
How can you help us as a friend?
There are several ways in which you can help us and we hope you will find something among the suggested list below that appeals to you.
- Stewarding the Maidenhead Pavilion Friends Centre (The Friends’ own charity shop at the Museum) especially at weekends and during the week in school holidays. If interested contact Diane Thomas via the Museum or email: email@example.com
- Donating unwanted presents, good condition bric-a-brac, books and toys to sell in the Friends Centre. You can leave all donations (no clothes please!) at the ticket office or bring into the Friends Centre if open. If bulky, please contact Diane Thomas (as above)
- Growing plants to sell at the Friends Centre (contact Diane Thomas, as above)
- Joining the team of jam/marmalade makers whose produce is sold in the Friends Centre. Clean jars and labels are supplied and you can be reimbursed for ingredients. If interested contact Gill Cassidy via the Museum, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone her on 01844 344461
- Manning stalls at local fetes and shows to promote and raise the profile of the Museum
- Making cakes to sell
- Supporting us at social and fundraising events
- Joining the Friends Committee – we currently have vacancies.
If you can help, please send an email to email@example.com or contact as above.
Contacting the Friends
If you would like to contact the Friends of the Museum, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the Secretary, Friends of Chiltern Open Air Museum, Chiltern Open Air Museum, Newland Park, Gorelands Lane, Chalfont St Giles, HP8 4AB.